About Purple

 

I asked you, on our walk back from the beach 
What's your favorite color 
You said you didn't have one 
Your favorite color was probably your dad's favorite color 
But only because it was premeditated, predictated 
I said, that's still a reason 
It's still your favorite color, you just have a story behind it 
You never asked me mine 
So I offered the information up, full of free will 
"Mine is gre-" 
"Do you remeber where we parked?" 
"But kelly green, not lime, the color of the carp-" 
"I think we need to cross here" 
"The carpet in my orthodontist's offic-"
"Actually it's one street up"
You didn't even know you were doing it 
But I think if I had had 
Blonde hair
With a big chest 
And a bikini 
(I had worn a black linen wrap dress to the beach)

Well, nevermind 
It's all maybe "If i-" 
And "I could have" 
But the truth is in the end 
That if you had wanted me
You would have paused on the corner, void of parking instructions 
And listened to me talk about green all day 
Pines, and grass, and carpet 
Nausea, pothos, envy 
Melon, basil, broccoli 
Matcha, jade, mint 
Nori, mungbeans, parakeets 
Peter Pan, pickles, wasabi
After I asked you all about purple. 





Comments

Popular Posts