Winter

I was born on the cusp of winter 
So naturally, I felt I must be married to the snow and to cold weather 
To black ice, hybernation, and great big godly storms 
Winter gave birth to me, and I loved her out of obligation 
A bitter right of passage 

The summer I met you, my hair had finally started to grow long 
I had cut it, an awful butchered bob gifted to me in late December 
Tied by my own shaky hands and seasonal lack of judgment 
I was learning to be gentle with myself, cradle my own skin 
What one does in the winter to survive must be left in the cold
Only a fool brings a coat into the heat of summer

You were always very good about that, leaving things in their respective time 
But perhaps that was because you were born on the brink of new beginnings
Grace and growth came easy to you
Spring exuding, though winter in your Spring's soft shadow 
You embodied both the worst and best of each year 

The summer you met me, you decided to make some changes
To stick around even when the flames were red and growing redder 
And when my winter boiled over 
You used my meltdown to plant three rows of pink carnations 
They stuck up through the snow and obligation 
A sure sign of kindness and reassurance

I was born on the cusp of winter 
So naturally, I felt I must be married to the snow and to cold weather
Though I have learned 
A cool breeze is to be carried through and past winter 
And summer- summer is my favorite, spring in her shadow, she brought me you. 




Comments

Popular Posts