As If You Were Mine

 I write about love 
As if you were mine 
You are not of course, you belong to the south 
To long brown hair, braided, and anointed 
You belong to the thick heat and the long grass
To swinging moss and a wife and bible sermons and good roots 
I belong to the west 
To the California salt and red stone 
I belong to a wild man and too much weed 
To the purple rocks and cloth tents 
And free thinking evil and big doubts 
I tried to change one time 
Tried to highlight my verses, dog ear the pages 
Sit rigid, praise the Lord, join a study, wear a cross 
I tried 
But I won't ever be much of a Baptist or a still woman 
I figure, if you're gonna believe
Then jump the purple rocks and start shouting 
Overturn the tents, lick the salt, sing and dance and move 
Be wickedly holy, be wickedly excited 
If I could, I'd rip you from Georgia, from Tennessee 
I would, but it's not my place and it's not your desire 
And so I let it be, the space I mean, I keep the space wide 
I keep the land between us, and I let the red stone and the salt
Keep growing as you watch those braids get long 
Till they're nipping at your heals, till she's hushing you in church 
Figure if you ever get serious
Somehow you'll make your way back to the mountain top 
And find your lungs, find a voice 
And yet maybe I should be moving to the south 
Be getting quiet, be getting still 
Becoming a woman of the faith, obedient, and bowing 
I tried.






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts